Why I Chose Acrylics

When I started to paint I went straight to the acrylics, because I knew they didn't stink! Basically I knew nothing about painting or paints but I did know that oils have a strong smell and that they took longer to dry.  Acrylic paint is non-toxic, water-soluble, permanent and very versatile medium.  It's easier to control the consistency and texture.  I love how easy it is to paint over an area that you want to make different.  I think the paint layers really well and blends nicely.  You can also add different additives to make the paint run thin and smooth, or dry slower and even to be able to sculpt with it.  Again its so versatile that it is fun to play with and see what can be created.

I have started to play around with watercolor.  I've noticed its a little harder to control and that you work from light to dark instead of dark to light with acrylics  I am enjoying learning more about watercolor and have discovered that I like to do flowers and seem quite good at doing them with watercolor.

I have also found that I really enjoy oil pastels, I enjoy using my fingers to smudge and blend the colors on the paper.  There are times I like to use a mix of mediums to just be creative without a plan.  I pull out a paper pad and gather all of the my supplies and then I just let it go and create.  I end up using a variety of items, acrylic paint markers, watercolors, watercolor pencils, gouache and oil pastels.

But as much as I love to try the other mediums expect oil paints I will always fall back on my acrylics.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fort Davis, TX

Art on the wall